Background: The most common manifestations of metastatic colorectal cancer are found in the liver, lung, bone, and brain. Cutaneous metastasis is rare in rectal cancer, and it indicates a widespread disease and a poor prognosis.
Case presentation: In this report and review we present a 58-year-old man who diagnosed with rectal cancer (RC) and underwent abdominoperineal resection. The patient developed a skin lesion (indurated erythema) on his scrotum four months later. Histopathological examination revealed adenocarcinoma with lymphovascular invasion.
Discussion: The primary causes of mortality in people with RC have been reported to be disease dissemination and recurrence. Cutaneous metastasis to the scrotum happens seldom, accounting for less than one percent of the total surface area of the body.
Conclusions: Even if an RC patient has been asymptomatic for a long time, skin involvements must be considered by clinicians. So, giving specific attention to all skin nodules, non-healing ulcers, and chronic indurated erythema is essential. Early detection relies heavily on patient engagement.
- Hosseini SV, Rezaianzadeh A, Rahimikazerooni S, Ghahramani L, Bananzadeh A. Prognostic Factors Affecting Short- and Long-Term Recurrence-Free Survival of Patients with Rectal Cancer using Cure Models: A Cohort Study. Iran J Med Sci. 2020;45(5):333–40. doi: 10.30476/ijms.2020.72735.0. [PubMed: 33060876].
- Moghimi M, Aryanfar A, Vahedian-Ardakani H, Joukar F. Scrotal lesions of metastatic rectal adenocarcinoma: Case report and literature review. Acta Med Iran. 2019;57(4):262–6. doi: 10.18502/acta.v57i4.1847.
- Gazoni LM, Hedrick TL, Smith PW, Friel CM, Swenson BR, Adams JD, et al. Cutaneous metastases in patients with rectal cancer: A report of six cases. Am Surg. 2008;74(2):138–40. doi: 10.1177/000313480807400210.
- De Giorgi V, Venturi F, Portelli F, Maida P, Scarfì F, Trane L, et al. Scrotal cutaneous metastasis from rectal squamous cell carcinoma: A rare evolution into a rare tumor. Exp Oncol. 2021;43(2):177–9. doi: 10.32471/exp-oncology.2312-8852.vol-43-no-2.16284. [PubMed: 34190514].
- Dehal A, Patel S, Kim S, Shapera E, Hussain F. Cutaneous Metastasis of Rectal Cancer: A Case Report and Literature Review. Perm J. 2016;20(1):74–8. doi: 10.7812/TPP/15-078. [PubMed: 26824966].
- McWeeney DM, Martin ST, Ryan RS, Tobbia IN, Donnellan PP, Barry KM. Scrotal metastases from colorectal carcinoma: A case report. Cases J. 2009;2(1):1–3. doi: 10.1186/1757-1626-2-111.
- Ozgen A, Karakaya E, Bozdoǧan N. Scrotal skin metastasis from rectum adenocarcinoma. Rare Tumors. 2013;5(4):194–5. doi: 10.4081/rt.2013.e60. [PubMed: 24416494]