Background: Anxiety following acute myocardial infarction is a particularly important issue. Prayer is one of the basic human needs that is related to mental health. Objectives: In this regard, this study aimed to determine the effect of recitation of Tawassul prayer on anxiety and physiological parameters of patients with myocardial infarction.
Methods: This clinical trial was performed on 80 patients for 6 months from August 2017 to March 2018. They were selected by the targeted sampling method and randomly assigned to two groups with gender and age block randomization. The subjects were asked to complete the anxiety subscale of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. Physiologic parameters were measured and participants in the intervention group listened to the recitation of the Tawassul Prayer with headphones.
Results: In the intervention group, the mean of anxiety scores before and after intervention were 11.17±3.06 and 5.81±3.16, respectively, which had a significant difference (P<0.001). There was a significant difference between the two groups in terms of the mean scores of anxiety before and after intervention (P<0.001) and the respiratory rate before and after intervention (P=0.025).
Conclusion: Prayer affected the level of anxiety and respiratory rate. This prayer is useful for reducing anxiety and improving the respiratory rate in patients with myocardial infarction.
- Momennasab M, Moattari M, Abbaszade A, Shamshiri B. Spirituality in survivors of myocardial infarction. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2012;17(5):343-51. [PubMed: 23853646].
- Feng HP, Chien WC, Cheng WT, Chung CH, Cheng SM, Tzeng WC. Risk of anxiety and depressive disorders in patients with myocardial infarction: a nationwide population-based cohort study. Medicine. 2016;95(34):e4464. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000004464. [PubMed: 27559951].
- Ulvik B, Bjelland I, Hanestad BR, Omenaas E, Wentzel-Larsen T, Nygård O. Comparison of the short form 36 and the hospital anxiety and depression scale measuring emotional distress in patients admitted for elective coronary angiography. Heart Lung. 2008;37(4):286-95. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2007.08.001. [PubMed: 18620104].
- Craven RF, Hirnle CJ, Jensen S. Fundamentals of nursing. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2013.
- Moser DK, Dracup K, Evangelista LS, Zambroski CH, Lennie TA, Chung ML, et al. Comparison of prevalence of symptoms of depression, anxiety, and hostility in elderly patients with heart failure, myocardial infarction, and a coronary artery bypass graft. Heart Lung. 2010;39(5):378-85. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2009.10.017. [PubMed: 20561849].
- Huffman JC, Smith FA, Blais MA, Januzzi JL, Fricchione GL. Anxiety, independent of depressive symptoms, is associated with in-hospital cardiac complications after acute myocardial infarction. J Psychosom Res. 2008;65(6):557-63. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychores.2008.08.001. [PubMed: 19027445].
- Kreitzer MJ, Snyder M. Healing the heart: integrating complementary therapies and healing practices into the care of cardiovascular patients. Prog Cardiovasc Nurs. 2002;17(1):73-80. doi: 10.1111/j.0889-7204.2002.00626.x. [PubMed: 11986540].
- Ameling A. Prayer: an ancient healing practice becomes new again. Holist Nurs Pract. 2000;14(3):40-8. doi: 10.1097/00004650-200004000-00008. [PubMed: 12119627].
- Asadzandi M, Taghizade Karati K, Tadrisi SD, Ebadi A. Effect of prayer on severity of patients illness in intensive care units. Iran J Crit Care Nurs. 2011;4(1):1-6.
- Rahimi A, Anoosheh M, Ahmadi F, Foroughan M. Exploring spirituality in Iranian healthy elderly people: a qualitative content analysis. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2013;18(2):163-70. [PubMed: 23983748].
- Perez JE, Rex Smith A, Norris RL, Canenguez KM, Tracey EF, Decristofaro SB. Types of prayer and depressive symptoms among cancer patients: the mediating role of rumination and social support. J Behav Med. 2011;34(6):519-30. doi: 10.1007/s10865-011-9333-9. [PubMed: 21487725].
- Recourse prayer. Islam Quest Net. Available at: URL: http://www.islamquest.net/fa/archive/question/1316; 2014.
- Farmahini Farahani M, Ghorbani M. Effect of tavassol prayer on mental health of second year nursing students of school of nursing. Complement Med J. 2012;2(2):135-47.
- Sharif NS, Hojjati H, Nazari R, Qorbani M, Akhoondzade G. The effect of prayer on mental health of hemodialysis patients. Iran J Crit Care Nurs. 2012;5(1):29-34.
- Bahrami M, Balouchestani E, Amini A, Eghbali M. Assessing the effect of two praying methods on the life quality of patients suffering from cancer hospitalized at Seyedo Shohada medical center of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2010;15(Suppl 1):296-301. [PubMed: 22069403].
- Dehghani K, Zare Rahimabadi A, Pourmovahed Z, Dehghani H, Zarezadeh A, Namjou Z. The effect of prayer on level of anxiety in mothers of children with cancer. Iran J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2012;2(2):78-83.
- Adarvishi S, Nasiri M, Ganjou M, Asadi M. The effect of tavasol prayer on reducing test anxiety of newly registered nursing students of Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences. J Med Educ Dev. 2014;7(15):1-9.
- Najafi Z. The effect of simultaneous aromatherapy and Quran recitation on anxiety level of patients with myocardial infarction. Complement Med J Facul Nurs Midwifery. 2014;4(1):700-12.
- Annunziata MA, Muzzatti B, Altoe G. Defining hospital anxiety and depression scale (HADS) structure by confirmatory factor analysis: a contribution to validation for oncological settings. Ann Oncol. 2011;22(10):2330-3. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdq750. [PubMed: 21339383].
- Kalhornia Golkar M, Banijamali S, Bahrami H, Hatami H, Ahadi H. Effect of spiritual therapy on blood pressure, anxiety and quality of life in patients with high blood pressure. J Kermanshah Univ Med Sci. 2014;18(8):462-70. doi: 10.22110/jkums.v18i8.1993.
- Montazeri A, Vahdaninia M, Ebrahimi M, Jarvandi S. The hospital anxiety and depression scale (HADS): translation and validation study of the Iranian version. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2003;1:14. doi: 10.1186/1477-7525-1-14. [PubMed: 12816545].
- Ap Siôn T, Francis LJ. The psychology of prayer: a review of empirical research. Int Handbook Educ Spiritual Care Well. 2009;3:247-67. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4020-9018-9_14.
- Goolipour T, Shakerinia I, Salehi I. The effectiveness of prayer in reducing stress and anxiety. [Master Thesis]. Rasht: University of Guilan; 2014.
- Mirbagher Ajorpaz N, Aghajani M, Shahshahani MS. The effects of music and Holy Quran on patient’s anxiety and vital signs before abdominal surgery. Evid Based Care. 2011;1(1):63-76. doi: 10.22038/EBCJ.2011.3765.
- Majidi SA. Recitation effect of Holy Quran on anxiety of patients before undergoing coronary artery angiography. J Guilan Univ Med Sci. 2004;13(49):61-7.
- Tayyebi V, Asaadi R, Saket M, Adelnasab M, Reza-zadeh J, Kaviani A. The effect of listening to Holy Quran prayers on anxiety and vital signs before elective surgeries. Teb Va Tazkiyeh. 2014;23(3):45-54.
- Pappano AJ, Wier WG. Cardiovascular physiology-e-book. NewYork: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2018. P. 269.
- Golafshani A, Gharooni M, Faghih S, Esmaeili H. Effect of progressive muscle relaxation on hypertension of aged with myocardial infarction. Iran J Ageing. 2007;2(3):352-7.
- Allameh T, JabalAmeli M, Lorestani K, Akbari M. The efficacy of quran sound on anxiety and pain of patients under cesarean section with regional anesthesia: a randomized case-controlled clinical trial. J Isfahan Med Sch. 2013;31(235):601-10.
- Ildar AE, Saleh MA, Mazloom SR. The effect of Holy Quran recitation on the patient's vital signs before open heart surgery. J Sabzevar Univ Med Sci. 2003;10(1):52-8.